Thursday, December 31, 2009

From the Corners of My Memory.

This little saying has been rolling around in my head the last few weeks

"It take a little courage and a little self-control, some grim determination if you want to reach your goal."

I couldn't remember the rest of the saying but I knew where it was from.

In high school I wasn't the best, fastest, tallest player on the basketball team. I was the 6th player on a 6-player team. It was a team that won sectionals, a championship game I didn't play in but did my best to be a part of. Knowing my place on the team wasn't to be a star on the court, I did my best to encourage the team on the way to games and that little phrase rolling around in my head was from one of the sayings I would post in the bus.

One of the things I know about myself I learned through that basketball team. I have the power to choose my place on a team. You can be discouraged by being 6th, or you can make an impact in that role. I also learned that I have the ability to encourage others. I know that through this journey I have been motivated by the thought of encouraging and inspiring others.

After weeks of the phrase rolling around I finally looked up the rest of it. I think it is a saying that will come back for the next few months to take me from celebrating 100 pounds to 140.
"It takes a little courage, and a little self-control. And some grim determination, If you want to reach the goal. It takes a deal of striving, and a firm and stern-set chin. No matter what the battle, If you really want to win. There's no easy path to glory, There's no rosy road to fame. Life, however we may view it, Is no simple parlor game; But it's prizes call for fighting, For endurance and for grit; For a rugged disposition and a don't know when to quit."--Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment