Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Birthday Run.

It takes a lot to get from before to after. gu, water, gatorade and mental stamina. all that and a perfectly timed playlist, along with a great race buddy.

How was the race? People ask and I say 'great' because I finished and I felt great to finish.

Ask me, how was the race, and here are some of the things I remember.

  • Hoping the port-a-potty line would move faster so we could start the race on time.
  • Having to "jump" over a gate to start the race. Apparently we should have started farther back.
  • The wall of people running up the hill in downtown Seattle. I wished for a camera when I saw that wall of bodies on the street.
  • Running the first 5k in under 10 minute miles. Over 6 minutes faster than I ran my first race in April.
  • Feeling the blister on my baby toe at mile 3 (and every step thereafter).
  • Yelling "It's my birthday" to random cheering people.
  • Hearing Heidi yell "It's her birthday" to random cheering people.
  • Bossing Heidi through a various obvious turn and her making fun of me.
  • Saying how perfect our playlist was over and over and over.
  • Pulling off one arm of my top layer.
  • Passing walkers up a hill.
  • Getting passed by the walkers as they started to run down the hill
  • Cussing at the lady who ran around me only to stop and walk RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME! at like mile 12! grrr.
  • "You Own Today!" being the best cheer someone yelled while we ran past
  • The water stops where you just felt so important as people cheered and catered to you
  • Trying to keep an eye on Heidi as she ran easily up the hills.
  • Telling myself I was going as fast as I physically could and that was all I needed to worry about.
  • Holding back tears as I hurt.
  • Chanting positive thoughts to myself as all the angry ones were yelling.
  • Pulling off the second arm of my top layer.
  • Thinking my shoes were DONE. Replacements needed.
  • Being disappointed that I couldn't laugh with Heidi at the funny song because I just hurt mentally and physically too much at mile 11/12 or somewhere in there.
  • Finishing the last hill, knowing it was just a sprint from there.
  • Hearing Bill at the beginning of the chute cheering us on.


  • Watching Heidi finish just before me, cheering her on in my head as I ran.
  • Frantically looking for Heidi after I crossed the finish line.
  • Falling into Heidi's arms for a giant hug, choking back tears in amazement that we did this.


  • and we did it faster than I had hoped. Ending time for me?
    2:34:06
    I had hoped for less than 2:45 which was a 12:45 minute mile. My actual time had me at a 11:45 minute mile...faster than I had ever run in my individual training runs.

    A great run. A great partner. A great birthday. A great year ahead.

    4 comments:

    1. totally awesome & inspiring, sallie. way to go!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Congrats! You look awesome! Keep it up!!!

      ReplyDelete
    3. CONGRATS, SALLIE!!!!! you need to come back for a visit so you can get me movin and motivated!

      ReplyDelete
    4. YAY! I'm tearing up just reading about it.

      ReplyDelete