Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Pump It Up.

"Pump up the jam, pump it up while your feet are stompin and the jam is pumpin."
-Pump Up The Jam Lyrics By Technotronic


This is what I've been chanting to myself since finishing my cardio workout at full intensity and length tonight for the first time.

Six Weeks Ago...
I started two Biggest Loser workout videos, Power Sculpt and Cardio Max. I finished Power Sculpt Level 1 (there are three levels and you step up every 2 weeks) for the first time and mom asked if it kicked my butt. I laughed and told her it was so easy, I barely broke a sweat! The next day, however, I was so sore I could barely make it up and down the stairs.

I powered through though and did Cardio Max Level 1 the following day. I was breathing so hard at the end that I thought I was going to pass out...I spent the cool down lying face down on the floor. I was still sore at the end of the workout and I think it lasted, oh...at least 3 days.

Today...
Yesterday for the first time, I did Power Sculpt, all three levels, with increasing weights through each level. I was sure that I would be so sore today but to my glee I woke up with not a sore muscle in sight!

So, today when it was time to workout, I decided it was time to do Cardio Max all levels for the first time. I started the workout thinking, as long as I make it through the first two levels I could quit but decided I could kick my own butt (literally, I was doing butt kick jump ropes) and finish the whole workout. Five pounds of sweat and 50 minutes later I'd completed the full workout and when cool down came I was able to do it upright.

The Morale of My Random Reflection...
As I was cursing and screaming at the DVD player for sticking and thus making my workout longer during the hardest segments...I tried to focus on just how far I'd come in 6 weeks. I was completing exercises I thought impossible 6 weeks ago with lots of sweat but confidence. When things got really hard and the DVD was sticking making the pain last longer, I tried to tell myself that this two would be so much easier at the end of next week if I just kept going today.

As the sweat dried and turned to salt on my skin (kind of gross but very true) I started thinking about what else can change in just 6 weeks. If you choose to be disciplined, can you change anything in 6 weeks? I know I can grow my nails out in less than that. I know that my hair can grow a good half inch. I know that I can go from fast food burgers to fast food salads. If I focused for just 6 weeks could I start my card business? Could I save lots of money for my trip? Could I find a date? :)

In my workouts, I know I'm doing something good when my feet are leaving the ground or I'm going from the ground to the up high. Maybe it's the same outside of a workout too. If I'm taking leaps into the unknown, jumping at chances, going beyond what I thought I could do...it might be hard but it might be really good for me. If I've fallen down, maybe it is how fast I can get back up that shows my strength...not avoiding the fall in the first place.

If I can get so much stronger in 6 weeks, how much stronger will I be at the end of this? I'm beginning to see the possibilities as I sing "pump up the jam" and the possibilities are not all physical.

1 comment:

  1. That's good to think about....what could I change in 6 weeks. You are inspirational. Thank you for your thoughts as you go through this journey.

    ReplyDelete