Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Drawing Lines for a Life.

There is a 5k run for Goshen's First Friday event in April that I've been talking about running in since February. I've been increasing my cardio over the past month but have not thought much about the fact that I would have to run 3 miles straight, outside, with other people around for the event. As I was lying in bed last night these realities came to light, along with the fact that I scheduled a work trip that would make it so I couldn't be home in time for the run.

I lied in bed trying to be happy that work was going to get me out of this run but I couldn't escape feeling like I was letting myself down. As scary as running 3 miles straight, outside, with other people around sounded at 11pm, letting work get in the way of one more thing that I wanted to do was even worse.

So I did what I rarely do. I emailed my boss this morning and told him I needed to be home Friday for this event and could he rearrange the training schedule so I could get home. He did. I can. I'm running in a 5k.

I realize that the 5k wasn't the most critical of life events to rework a schedule for but for me it was another step in putting my life in balance with my work. I can say I don't do things because of my travel schedule, I often do, but I can also say I can't travel because of my life schedule.

When I get home next week I'm setting up some reserved "no travel" weeks in my schedule so I can live more of the life I'm fighting so hard for, coming out from under these 100 pounds.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! It's definitely all about finding balance.

    ReplyDelete